Travel Wessex Welcome
They need not be expensive.
You can afford a holiday this year!!! Recession or no recession Travel Wessex is the site where some ideas can be found for relaxing or active breaks, short or long.
Wessex – that well kept secret in southwest England - of Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Somerset and Wiltshire.
|A delightful invitation, explore this shady footpath in SomersetPhoto © Copyright
L. Temple 2008
What about walking along the incredible footpaths that criss cross this wonderful landscape. Some of these paths are long distance but can be accessed along the way for shorter breaks.
Camping is a great idea for an inexpensive holiday. Children love camping. While all these expensive tents and other equipment are nice – are they really necessary? A get back to basics holiday could be fun. You might need to pack your sense of humour for use when you suddenly remember you have forgotten the tin opener!!!!
Thought sbout looking at the area your ancestors came from? Did they live in this lovely part of the world? Many folk emigrated to far flung lands to America, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa. Many went to India at least for a while in the Army or the East India Company. Plymouth can be described as the place from which the modern world was formed. The many monuments on the quay testify to their adventures. Were your ancestor on the Mayflower to America or the First Fleet to Australia? Why not walk in their footsteps!!!!!
A caravan holiday need not mean those resort sites – find one on a farm or small site close to where you would like to be. Take your own.
Camping or caravanning, wake to the dawn chorus of a new day. Get away from it all - take the family - do your own thing – leave your worries behind. You will be better able to deal with them after a break.
Travel the winding lanes, footpaths, main roads and motorways of this beautiful area of England. Find little market towns, famous cities, wonderful golden beaches, magnificent cathedrals, and monuments as ancient as human habitation of Wessex.
|Narrow winding lanes and pretty thatched cottagesPhoto © Copyright
L. Temple 2008
Travel through ever changing scenes, rolling hills and valleys, plains, gorges. Park the car and explore little villages with their pretty thatched cottages.
Travel back in time to a world long lost but lingering in archaeology, markets with ancient charters, cobbled streets, statues, Morris dancing and buildings that appear to have grown from the ground itself.
Travel to future events around this diverse but natural region.
Travel however you will. Ramble long distance footpaths like Testway or Ridgeway. Cycle the new Wessex Way from Weston Bay in North Somerset to Seaton in Devon. Tow your caravan or hire one. Find a site. Go camping. Go touring. Go by car, bus, coach or train. Come by planes, boats and trains.
|Chalets on the sandbar at MudefordPhoto © Copyright
L. Temple 2008
Stay in a hotel with a view of the sea, or a cottage looking out over green fields, What about the hospitality of a guest house or B&B. Self catering perhaps, backpacker’s hostel in a charming place, a caravan or tent. There is a place waiting……….
Come Fellow Traveller………
- Travel Wessex
- Travel Wessex explores the delightful south west English counties of Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Wiltshire and Somerset that comprise the beautiful region of Wessex.
- Family History in Southwest England
- Your family history in southwest England is calling you. Visit this lovely region and walk in the footsteps of your ancestors.
- Devon in the beautiful south west of England is a tourist's heaven. Where else can one find so many beautiful beaches,rugged coastline, moors rural farmland and fascinating cities all in one package
- A look at Exeter
- Plymouth - The city that founded the modern world! The Mayflower left for the New World. Convicts left for Australia and New Zealand and Sir Francis Drake played bowls on the Hoe before the Armada.
- Torquay is a delightful English Riveria coastal town in Devon. Hilly perhaps, but nevertheless one of the most popular towns in the southwest
- Torbay Global Geo Park
- Torbay Global Geo Park, also known as the English Riviera Global Geo Park, is one of only eight such parks in the United Kingdom and the only urban one.
- best books about Devon
- best books about Devon are aplenty on all sorts of topics.
- Dorset, on the south coast, gateway to the Jurrassic Coast
- Dorchester, county town of Dorset and home of Thomas Hardy
- Bournemouth is a delightful resort on the Dorset coast
- Weymouth a favourite seaside resort on the south coast of Dorset
- Portland Dorset
- Portland Dorset is the home of sailing for the 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympics
- best books about Dorset
- best books about Dorset. you will love them if you love Dorset
- Hampshire in South west England is a county of captivating contrasts, downland, chalk streams. forest , small villages, towns and port cities.
- Winchester Hants
- Winchester Hants is an attractive, ancient city that was once capital of Wessex and England. These days it is the capital of the county of Hampshire in Wessex.
- best books about Hampshire
- best books about Hampshire, this enchanting county with its delightful downs, cities and villages.
- Isle of Wight
- Isle of Wight, an island oasis of small seaside resorts and rolling green countryside, very popular with visitors for day trips and holidays
- best books about The Isle of Wight
- Best books about the Isle of Wight tells of the lovely island that is a world of its own.
- Somerset set in the south west of England is a beautiful county of rolling hills, pretty villages and interesting towns and cities.
- best books about Somerset
- Best books about Somerset and all its interesting places amongst the green hills.
- Wiltshire a county of diverse and interesting attractions. From the attractive city of Salisbury and the ancient Old Sarum to the prehistoric Stonehenge and Avebury, plus intriguing Salisbury Plain.
- best books about Wiltshire
- Best books about Wiltshire with Salisbury delightful rural areas and wide open places of the Plain
- Cycling in the Wessex counties of Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Isle of Wight. Wilts
- Cycling in all its forms in the Wessex counties of south west England
- Free Cycling Tour Brochures
- Free Cycling Tour Brochures. Cycling breaks with a delightful difference. Pedal Wessex. Or any county in England for that matter.
- Walking Trails
- Walking Trails in the counties of Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Somerset and Wiltshire are as diverse as the Wessex region itself.
- Caravan Holidays in Southwest England
- Caravan holidays in southwest England are not so expensive and can be a wonderful experience in this region .
- Park Resorts
- There are five Park Resorts Holiday Parks in Wessex, one in Devon and four on the Isle of Wight
- Best Camping Gear
- Best Camping Gear is for the walker, hiker or cyclists who love to spend time in the outdoors.
- best hiking gear
- Hiking, or walking, is a very popular pastime but it does need the best hiking gear,
- best luggage and backpacks
- The best luggage and backpacks, suitcases and travel bags are essential for holiday travel. They should be light weight for easy carrying.
- best boots and shoes
- The best boots and shoes and essential for the job in hand. Here are a few excellent online stores that might have just what you want.
- best smart phones
- The best smart phones are an essential piece of equipment nowadays. Not just the normal day to day routine, but even more essential if you are in difficulties
- Events in Southwest England
- Links to Events in southwest England that is the region of Wessex lists events in Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Somerset and Wiltshire
- events in Devon
- All the main events in Devon are listed in this section. Devon is set in the incredible Wessex region
- Events in Dorset
- Events in Dorset lists the many events that take place in the delightful county
- Events in Hampshire
- Events in Hampshire is a page dedicated to listing the many and varied events that occur in beautiful Hampshire, its cities, towns and villages.
- Events on The Isle of Wight
- Events on the Isle of Wight, this pretty island, are outstanding in variety and interest.
- Events in Somerset
- Events in Somerset
- Events in Wiltshire
- Events in Wiltshire
- Getting to and around Wessex
- Getting to and around Wessex, those beautiful counties of south west England is quite easy. Flights, ferries, hire cars, rail and coach transport is plentiful.
- best flights southwest England
- best flights southwest England, the lovely Wessex counties of Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Wiltshire and Somerset..
- Heathrow International Airport
- Heathrow International Airport is the largest gateway to England and for that matter to the British Isles. As it is situated only sixty miles from the beautiful counties of southwest England it is a u
- Gatwick International Airport
- Gatwick International Airport is an excellent access airport for south west England from Europe
- Bristol International Airport
- Bristol International Airport is an excellent access point for southwest England , the beautiful counties of Wessex
- Southampton International Airport
- Southampton International Airport is on the southeast corner of Wessex, an ideal entry point for all counties west of Hampshire.
- Best car rentals
- Your best car rentals for your holiday in Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Wiltshire and Somerset is just a click away.
- Best accommodation southwest England
- The best accommodation in southwest England. That lovely area of the country that is Wessex, Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, IOW, Somerset and Wiltshire
- Best Cottages in South West England
- The best cottages in south west England delight to senses and make self catering a pleasure
- more best accommodation
- More best accommodation in the Wessex region - late booking included
- Feedback form
- Links to other sites of interest
- All Sorts of Everything
- All sorts of Everything. Pages on such related topics as well being, fitness, cameras, caravans to boats, bikes and other intriguing topics.
- Follow These Healthy Eating Guidelines If You Want Real Results
- Ignore all the meat and dairy industry propaganda. Vegetables, fruits, whole grains and beans are the basis of these radical healthy eating guidelines
- Self Defence for Women
- Self defence for Women is a very important concept to learn and to do, particularly for those travelling alone
- Your own Website
- The most positive way of owning your own website, your success.
- SBI! TV
- Copyright for text and graphics on this website
- Getting to and around Wessex
- Getting to and around Wessex, airports, ferries, National Express, rail
- best hotels in southwest England
- The best hotels in southwest England are here whether you are looking for luxury or inexpensive holidays. Late booking - then this is the place to be
- Wessex are those counties in south west England of Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Wiltshire and Somerset
- Famous People of Wessex
- Famous People of Wessex - Wessex has seen many famous sons and daughters, genius of all forms created from the very air and spirit that emanates this unique realm.
Ancient architecture - Exeter, Devon
X53 Weymouth to Exeter south coastal bus picking up passengers for Exeter in Lyme Regis, Dorset
A Gosport Ferry in Portsmouth Harbour, Hampshire.
View from Wootton Bridge, Isle of Wight.
The Big Wheel at Weston Super Mare, Somerset
Salisbury Cathedral, Salisbury, Wiltshire